Saturday, September 12, 2009

What would you do with a Honey Bun?


Thanks so much for the amazing response to the last post! I'm so thrilled to be making 12 more pin cushions to send all over the world! So, I started thinking about what I should make for my family this year for the holidays and I wanted to be sure to make all the gifts. Yes, I know it's a little bit late, but that's OK. I pulled out a couple of the honey buns I had bought awhile back and decided to make something with them. Remember that honey buns are beautiful rolls of strips, usually about 40, cut to 1 1/2" all from the same line of fabrics. So, first I tried my hand at making a little zipper pouch. This wasn't for a gift but I wanted to see if I could do it. I think it turned out AWESOME!

The tutorial for this is on Moda Bakeshop (of course), click here. Oh and I used an invisible zipper and it made it even better I think. I had never even put in a zipper ONCE before! The funny part is that I am keeping almost the exact same things in it as are in the tutorial. I am using mine to keep track of the hexagons I've been obessed with making lately (great to make while watching NCIS.) Sorry, I digress. The items I made today were part honey bun, part linen blend. I found a bunch of different tutorials online for projects I wanted to make for family members. I linked to them all on my Sew Good Sew Far blog so that I could find them easily. Today I made PDF files out of them and printed them out for easy access (since my computer is not near my sewing machine). One of the tutorials was for making rice heat therapy bags and the tutorial author also made some smaller bags for buckwheat (which can be frozen for ice packs.) So I used some of my leftover strips from another honey bun and this is what I came up with.


Of course I have yet to fill them up, but that's for another day. Well, the last part of this was that the same person who wrote that tutorial made a bag she called a wellness bag. This was a tote bag that she filled with the hot and cold therapy bags, and some other wellness items. I thought it was a neat idea and thought I'm make one for a couple of the people on my gift list this year. The suggestion was to start with a log cabin block and then add linen around it to make the tote bag. Here's the block I made. My FIRST attempt at a log cabin block, with no real instructions, just following my instincts.


I'm not quite done but I love how it's going so far. So that's what I've managed to complete today. I feel very proud of myself for getting that much done! I guess you could say I spent a lot of quality time with my honey bun today! So what have you all been working on? Oh, and by the way, there are some NEW honey buns in our shop! We have honey buns from the Mill House Inn and Simple Abundance lines. Better get them while you can!

Happy Stitches to you,

Anna

6 comments:

  1. Busy, busy girl! Happy Sat. Sharefest from SITS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your little "honey bun" bag!
    Thanks for stopping by my blog SISTA! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. so creative I wish I had the time to learn Thanks for coming by and entering my giveaway hurry back in the next few days to get more entries in remember sirjj organics ends on TUES pm. and you won't want to miss my next giveaway FUN FUN FUN

    ReplyDelete
  4. The zipper pouch is so cute! That would make a great gift.

    Thanks also for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete