Sunday, April 10, 2011

Book Review: Amy Barickman's Vintage Notions

Vintage Notions: An Inspirational Guide to Needlework, Cooking, Sewing, Fashion and Fun

Today I have the pleasure of reviewing this sweet book by Amy Barickman called Vintage Notions. Amy is the pattern designer behind Indygo Junction of which I do have a few patterns in my shop. While I mostly carry modern style and design of fabrics and patterns, I have found that this book is very useful for the modern sewist(a).  A lot of the inspiration for this book was taken from a woman named Mary Brooks Picken who was a very real predecessor to Martha Stewart. Here is what Amy says about Mary Brooks Pickens in her introduction to the book:
"I conceived of this book, Vintage Notions, to rescue Mary Brooks Pickens from obscurity and to reintroduce the inspirational essays, clever sewing patterns, cooking basics, and beautiful illustrations from the Institute's newsletters with a fresh and modern voice."
Well, there you go! The perfect reason for me, someone who is thoroughly as modern as possible, to read a book with the word "Vintage" in the title!

Some of my favorite parts of this book include:

The "Magic Pattern" called "Men's Shirts Put to Feminine Use" on page 30

The section in each chapter called Amy B's Favorite Vintage Advice is sure to put a smile on your face.

The Department of Millinery (hats) on page 153 is great! I didn't realize there were so many hats for every occasion.


Of course, the Department of Cookery features in each chapter are very useful for me, since my oven doesn't exactly work, I'm sure I could use the advice on Cooking with Cold and Dainty Summer refreshments.



I definitely need to try this pattern for a summer purse, because Summer is approaching quickly.

I really could go on and on but I'll let you get a copy of the book for yourself to see how sweet and fun being domestic can be!

Oh, and don't forget to check out page 183 for the Department of Good Looks feature on "Charm Through Grace and Poise" and the advice on the opposite page about "Walking Like a Princess" because we should all walk like the princesses we are!

I think this book would be very useful to those who love vintage or those who love modern. Amy even includes a section at the beginning of each chapter called Modern Notions which helps relate the content in the chapter to a more contemporary context.

Thank you Amy Barickman and staff for allowing me to review a copy of this book!

A second copy of this book will be donated to the San Antonio Modern Quilt Guild for the silent auction fundraiser.

Happy Stitches,
Anna

P.S. Stay tuned this week for more pattern reviews and giveaways!

No comments:

Post a Comment