Monday, February 21, 2011

Turn the Blade Around!

(Cue music "Turn the beat around...")


I recently discovered something AMAZING about rotary cutters! (This after having gone somewhere and purchased 5 refill blades for, luckily, 50% off during a sale, but still too much money). Their blades have TWO SIDES! Yes, that means, when one side is soo incredibly worn out that it won't cut, or you can cut but it doesn't do a great job cutting the entire piece, you can FLIP it over!! Why hadn't I thought of that before!? Duh! (Cue head smacking and annoying Homer Simpson noise) Well, I figured it out and have turned all the blades on all my rotary cutters over (because they all seemed to wear out at the same time). And now it seems like I have ALL new blades even though I haven't used any of my refills! So there is your $1000 tip for the day, but FREE because I'm so excited to share it! By the way I also recently purchased some Cutting Edge rulers that have a diamond carbide edge (think knife sharpener) on the end of the ruler. The idea is that it will sharpen the rotary blade as you cut your fabric. I haven't used it enough know if it really works but I like it so far. Well, that's it for the night, happy cutting and watch your fingers!

Happy Stitches,
Anna

5 comments:

  1. I never would have thought of this either, so thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great tip..thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tip! You get a gold star today. Thank you for sharing.

    Have a super great sewing day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who knew? Thanks for sharing! For whatever reason I save all my old blades that don't cut ... now I can reuse them LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing that tidbit of "super" savings on those rotary blades. Mine always seems to be dull when I'm right in the middle of a project, & who wants to lose their momentum by having to run to the quilt shop or Joannes? Thanks a bunch.
    CAS

    ReplyDelete